Monday, May 2, 2016

Why Pray Written Prayers?

For years I have used prayers written by others to nourish my soul and spur on my prayer life.  I come from a tradition where praying extemporaneously or off the cuff was emphasized and even considered as more spiritual than reading prepared or written prayers.  I have come to see the benefit of using prepared or written prayers both in public and private settings.  As a minister, when I have taken time to write out the prayers I share in public, they are much fuller and richer than when I just let it rip and pray without preparation.

Don't get me wrong I fully believe in people praying without a 'script' or plan, however for the purpose of this post, I am going to share a few benefits to using other peoples prayer in our personal devotional life.


1.  Praying the Psalms gives us the language of prayer.  The Psalms are the written prayers of the Church.  For centuries the Psalms have been the Churches prayer book.  If you don't pray the Psalms you are missing out on going deep with God.  The Psalms, when prayed help us gain new language, new insights, new perspectives into our relationship with God.  Simply reading a Psalm as a prayer is a great way to start and yes it does count as praying.  After getting comfortable with reading the Psalm as a prayer, the next step is to use the words, phrases and images to launch into more non-planned conversation with God.  The Psalms are like a diving board which will launch us into the presence of God.  If you need to learn how to pray, start by simply reading a Psalm to God.

2.  Praying written prayers can help get us over dry spells.  Let's face it we all go through times when we just don't know what to say to God.  We even might be having a hard time wanting to pray.  Don't worry everyone goes through these times.  When we use others' prayers it can keep us connected with God and help us when we are in a spiritual rut.

The Prayer of Abandonment by Charles de Foucauld

Father,
I abandon myself into your hands; do with me what you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you: I am ready for all, I accept all.
Let only your will be done in me, and in all your creatures -- I wish no more than this, O Lord.
Into your hands I commend my soul;
I offer it to you with all the love of my heart, for I love you Lord,
and so need to give myself,
to surrender myself into your hands,
without reserve,
and with boundless confidence,
for you are my Father.


3. Praying others prayers helps us learn new ways of praying.  In a way when we pray someone else's prayers we are being discipled by them and are encouraged along in our spiritual journey.  If we pray a prayer written by someone from a different time period or in a different denomination than we are in, our view of God will expand.

Prayer by St. Dimitri (17th century)
Come, my Light, and illumine my darkness.
Come, my Life, and revive me from death.
Come, my Physician, and heal my wounds.
Come, Flame of divine love, and burn up the thorns of my sins, kindling my heart with the flame of thy love.
Come, my King, sit upon the throne of my heart and reign there.
For thou alone art my King and my Lord.


Give it a shot and let me know if you discover some prayers in the Christian traditon you could share with me.  Below is on of my favorites!

John Stott - Trinitarian Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that I may live this day in your presence and please you more and more.

Lord Jesus, I pray that this day I may take up my cross and follow you.

Holy Spirit, I pray that this day you will fill me with yourself and cause your fruit to ripen in my life:

Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control

Holy, blessed and glorious trinity, three persons in one God, have mercy upon me.

Almighty God, Creator and sustainer of the universe, I worship you.

Lord Jesus Christ, Savior and Lord of the World, I worship you.

Holy Spirit, Sanctifier of the people of God, I worship you.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

As it was in the beginning, is now, and shall be forever, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment