Saturday, July 23, 2016

A Confession of Reality and Possibility

This post comes as a bit of a confession.  A confession of pride which has led to me lose my way and then gratefully learning that has helped me find it again.

About a year ago at the church where I serve as pastor I realized that due to the perfect storm of changing demographics, natural attrition and changing church attendance trends I was going to have to make some HUGE changes.  After 18 years of being a full-time minster I was going to have to become bi-vocational.  In the church world this is a new trend where churches cannot support a full-time salary but need trained staff to continue their work.  To some this is a 'step-down' in professional stature and to be honest that has been the largest hurdle for me to overcome (hence the confession).

Our church has a great deal to offer our community so when I initiated this conversation with our Board it was with the belief that we were not throwing in the white flag of surrender, but regrouping and reorganizing so we can serve our community for many, many more years.  The reality of loosing almost 1/3 of your income is that you lose 1/3 of your income.  Panic ensues, frustration follows and then the eyes open as the initial shock wears off and you begin to think about possibilities.  It takes a little effort and time, but when you start thinking about potential and possibilities the life juices begin to flow again.  Most ministers would start looking for another full-time church, yet that did not seem to be where God was/is leading me and my family.  I have had to start allowing possibility thinking to drive my thinking and it is quite refreshing!

Three things I have found out about possibility thinking

1.  It forced me to develop systems to become more efficient.  To be honest, when you have been doing the same thing in the same way for a while it is east to get into a rut where creativity and innovation are non-existent.  When I cut my hours at church I was forced to take a new look at how I planned sermons, captured ideas, communicated with colleagues and developed programs.  I spent some time researching how other people accomplish a lot with limited time and had to develop my own system of productivity.  This new reality of multiple jobs forced me into a personal development renovation and at 47 this has created a massive amount of energy and creativity.  The possibilities are endless.

2.  I had to uncover skills I did not know I had.  I realized quickly that with my limited time and energy I had to ask for help and learn to develop teams.  I am a introvert who loves to do things individually and I no longer can afford this 'luxury.'  In order to survive I have to work with others, learn from others, depend on others and develop others, I am becoming a team developing wizard.  With new roles (see next point) I have also begun learning new technologies, Office 365, Slack, Yammer & Sway are all becoming real tools and skills I am cultivating. The possibilities are endless

3.  I discovered new opportunities.  I have always loved the idea of consulting and organisational development.  When I knew the reality of going bi-vocational  was upon me, I began looking for outside opportunities to consult.  Through some friends I was connected with a non-profit charity, Friends For Life in Waco, TX who needed the use of my skills.  This short-term consult has turned into a long term relationship where I have an opportunity to feed my consulting skills, a flexible work schedule and am serving a great cause.  I am developing an HR program, a comprehensive marketing program, planning staff training, facilitating office communication, working on strategy, interviewing, dealing with conflict among many other things.  The possibilities are endless.

I would have never imagined or considered this opportunity had I not been 'forced' to by my circumstances  I also have been given the opportunity to coach and organize the lacrosse program at a local private high school this Spring.  This is yet another opportunity that stemmed from having to think outside the normal flow of my life.  What possibilities, relationships, areas of service will this opportunity open up?  The possibilities are endless.

I can honestly say that I am preaching better sermons, leading more effectively and connecting with people in a more authentic ways since I have started working bi-vocationally.  Our church is developing new programs and the members are embracing their new role as ministers.  Instead of being distracted from 'church-work' I am more engaged with church, with my job and with my relationships.  I am no longer ashamed of being bi-vocational, I am engaged with the world.   The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment