Monday, August 15, 2016

Five Phrases Guaranteed to Strengthen Your Bond with Your Kids

My kids are growing up fast, too fast. My wife and I have loved each stage of their development and are in the throws of taking our oldest to college.   We can’t help but look back at our lives and evaluate how we did, regret where we failed and honestly hope we laid a foundation for our kid’s health and growth.

Parenting is not easy!  I am the first one to admit I have been a very imperfect father.  I have made my share of mistakes, large and small in my parental role.  I am very glad that my kids have chosen to love an imperfect man.  I have found that parenting without the goal of perfection has been a much better choice than to try to be a perfect parent.  

I think authenticity is a much more powerful tool in the parenting tool box than perfection.  This is not a licensed to have no morals or direction and expect my kids to accept me as I am.  Authenticity is being true and real and owning my mistakes.  As long as we are trying to do right, to be true, to lead our kids toward a healthy future, then the mistakes we make as parents are not going to sabotage our kid’s future.  If you feel guilty about how you interact with your kids....don’t!  Guilt never healed any relationship.
I found out early some key phrases that when backed with sincerity help bridge the gap from imperfection to love.   I have used these phrases often with my kids and offer them as a simple reminder that we are not perfect, and relationships can always be healed.
1.  Thank you
2.  I messed up
3.  Forgive me
4.  I am proud of you
5.  I love you. (without condition)

Are there any phrases you have found helpful in building relationships?  Would you add anything to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment